Relationship Education

Helping the lives of youth and children… it’s what we do.

Do you enjoy working with couples? Are you interested in learning how to improve relationships? Consider a career in relationship education.

Rebecca Torres, YFCS Alumna, 2017 Coordinator of Married Life, Catholic Diocese of Raleigh

What Does a Career in Relationship Education Look Like?

Do you have excellent interpersonal skills? Are you interested in what makes relationships work? Get the knowledge and experience required to support couples.

Professionals working in relationship education often do the following:

  • Teach classes on relationship best practices, addressing topics such as communication, sexuality, division of labor, and affair prevention and recovery
  • Facilitate workshops for couples
  • Prepare couples for or guide couples through life transitions
  • Guide couples through challenges related to parenting
  • Educate parents of children with special needs, behavioral issues, or victims of trauma
  • Provide written relationship advice in the form of books, pamphlets, web copy, brochures, articles
  • Contribute as a public speaker on shows, webinars, or video
  • Meet with couples to provide guidance, advice, support, and accountability
  • Develop coursework and instructional materials for parent educators
  • Teach classes to satisfy court-ordered parent education

Not interested in working for an organization? Many relationship educators work independently. The field of relationship education offers a wide variety of job opportunities and environments.

Back to Top

What Are the Most Common Relationship Education Job Titles?

The following are job titles commonly held by relationship education professionals:

  • Couples counselor
  • Therapist
  • Advisor
  • Relationship expert

Back to Top

What Education is Required to Work in Relationship Education?

You will be expected to have deep knowledge of foundational principles of interpersonal relationships, therapeutic intervention techniques, psychology, mental health, and sexuality. Most employers require a baccalaureate, advanced degree, or certificate. A graduate degree or certificate in Youth, Family, and Community Sciences equips you with the skills and credentials necessary to succeed in this field.

Back to Top

Ready to Get Started?

You already know you want to work with couples. Get the credentials you need to get hired.

Jumpstart your career in relationship education with a master’s degree or certificate in Youth, Family, and Community Sciences from NC State. 
Apply Now